Beamforming Simulation never finishes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tom Aird
    Participant

I am trying to make use of beamforming within my simulations. When I try running with the parameters below, the simulation never finishes. However I do end up with a results file but it is over 100GB in size and cannot be opened. Do you have any suggestions for any parameters I am missing to get this working?

Many thanks

simulation_type = 'tri_sector';

%% Base configuration
    LTE_config = LTE_load_params(simulation_type);
    LTE_config.nTX                            = 1; 
    LTE_config.nRX                            = 1;
    LTE_config.tx_mode                        = 7;
    LTE_config.scheduler                      = 'round robin'; 
    LTE_config.antenna.antenna_gain_pattern   = 'TS 36.942';
    LTE_config.UE_distribution                = 'constant UEs per cell';
    LTE_config.UE_per_eNodeB                  = 50; 
    LTE_config.simulation_time_tti           = 10;
    LTE_config.macroscopic_pathloss_model     = 'TS36942';
    LTE_config.shadow_fading_type             = 'none';
    LTE_config.sector_azimuths                = 0:360/3:359; % 3 sectors
    LTE_config.trace_version                  = 'v2';
    LTE_config.support_beamforming            = 1;
    LTE_config.keep_UEs_still                 = true;
    LTE_config.network_geometry               = 'regular_hexagonal_grid';
    LTE_config.show_network                   = 0;
    LTE_config.channel_model.type             = 'winner+';
    LTE_config.default_shown_GUI_cells        = [13 14 15];
    LTE_config.compute_only_center_users      = true;
    LTE_config.debug_level                    = 0;  

Hi Tom,

usually all details about the simulation are saved, unless you use

LTE_config.compact_results_file = true; (or =1, =2)

You can check in LTE_sim_main (~line 530) which values of LTE_config.compact_results_file correspond to which stored values and also adapt it there. This should drastically reduce the size of your saved file.

Best,
    Martin

Tom Aird
    Participant

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your response but I think you misunderstand my problem. I have run several simulations with the exact above parameters apart from not enabling beamforming. This simulations run extremely quickly (<10 mins) and return a relatively small results file. Merely adding in beamforming functionality has caused the simulation to run for several hours without finishing, and create a results file of over 100GB that cannot be opened.

I don’t see how adding beamforming causes these changes, especially since I can run the beamforming example launcher (LTE_sim_main_launcher_beamforming) with no problems in a reasonable time.

Surely there is something I else I am missing?

Many thanks

Tom

Dear Tom,

In order to understand what is causing such large simulation time, you can start your simulation and set a bullet-point in the launcher file under the line output_results_file = LTE_sim_main(LTE_config); Next you can check the parameters saved in LTE_config as these are the parameters used for the simulation and compare with the ones you give in the launcher file. I assume there should be some parameter overwritten; especially pay attention at parameters like simulation_time_tti, nr_eNodeB_rings, UE_per_eNodeB.

Best regards,
    Fjolla

Tom Aird
    Participant

Hi Fjolla,

Thank you for your advice, however I have attempted to set a break-point at “output_results_file = LTE_sim_main(LTE_config);” and the simulation never reaches the breakpoint. A results file is created, that keeps growing larger and larger, but the simulation never fully completes this line. If I manually end the simulation then the results file is not readable (matlab cannot open it – it says it is corrupted) so I cannot get any useful information from that.

Would it possible for you to run a simulation with the above parameters? I am simulating for only 10TTI and not a huge number of UEs so it really shouldn’t take that long to finish. I am capable of run multiple other simulation setups (including the beamforming demo) so it is not a problem with my installation/hardware.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Dear Tom,

Note that calling LTE_sim_main(LTE_config) starts the simulation, and it seems that in your launcher file this is happening before the line output_results_file = LTE_sim_main(LTE_config). You are probably calling LTE_sim_main(LTE_config) some lines before.

If this is not the case, then I would ask you to send me this launcher file.

Best regards,
    Fjolla

Tom Aird
    Participant

Dear Fjolla,

I can assure you that LTE_sim_main(LTE_config) is only called once in the launcher file. The full launcher file is:

close all force;
    clc;
    cd C:\Users\Tom\Documents\MATLAB

simulation_type = 'tri_sector';

% Possible simulation types now:
    %   - 'tri_sector', 'tri_sector_3D'
    %   - 'tri_sector_tilted', 'tri_sector_tilted_4x2', 'tri_sector_tilted_4x4'
    %   - 'tri_sector_plus_femtocells'
    %   - 'six_sector_tilted'
    %   - 'capesso_pathlossmaps'
    %   - 'omnidirectional_eNodeBs'

%% Base configuration
    LTE_config = LTE_load_params(simulation_type);
    LTE_config.nTX                            = 1; 
    LTE_config.nRX                            = 1;
    LTE_config.tx_mode                        = 7;
    LTE_config.scheduler                      = 'round robin'; 
    LTE_config.antenna.antenna_gain_pattern   = 'TS 36.942';
    LTE_config.UE_distribution                = 'constant UEs per cell';
    LTE_config.UE_per_eNodeB                  = 50; 
    LTE_config.simulation_time_tti            = 10;
    LTE_config.macroscopic_pathloss_model     = 'TS36942';
    LTE_config.shadow_fading_type             = 'none';
    LTE_config.sector_azimuths                = 0:360/3:359; % 3 sectors
    LTE_config.trace_version                  = 'v2';
    LTE_config.support_beamforming            = 1;
    LTE_config.keep_UEs_still                 = true;
    LTE_config.network_geometry               = 'regular_hexagonal_grid';
    LTE_config.show_network                   = 0;
    LTE_config.channel_model.type             = 'winner+';
    LTE_config.default_shown_GUI_cells        = [13 14 15];
    LTE_config.compute_only_center_users      = true;
    LTE_config.debug_level                    = 0;  
    LTE_config.compact_results_file = true;

ticIdx = tic;
    output_results_file = LTE_sim_main(LTE_config);
    time = toc(ticIdx);

simulation_data                   = load(output_results_file);
    GUI_handles.aggregate_results_GUI = LTE_GUI_show_aggregate_results(simulation_data);
    GUI_handles.positions_GUI         = LTE_GUI_show_UEs_and_cells(simulation_data,GUI_handles.aggregate_results_GUI); 
    Tom Aird
    Participant

Obviously the line cd C:\Users\Tom\Documents\MATLAB will need to be altered for your own directory

Dear Tom,

The simulation you are running takes very long and the reason is that you use LTE_config.nr_eNodeB_rings = 2; which means that you are considering 19 three-sectorized base stations (57 eNodeB sectors) with 50 users on each sector, and when using beamforming feature, beamforming vectors have to be calculated for each link (desired and interfering) for every user thus causing a tremendous calculation.

One hint for you: the simulation parameters are written in the config file (see +simulation_config folder). In the main launcher file, you use one of the config files, but you can overwrite simulation parameters that you want to change from what is given in the config file used.

Best regards,
    Fjolla

Tom Aird
    Participant

Dear Fjolla,

Thank you very much for your help with this matter. I was previously simulating with only a single ring of eNodeBs and just missed that when copying here. However it seems I had underestimated how much extra time it would take to simulate using the beamforming feature. Reducing the number of UEs to 10 per sector allowed my simulation to finish in a reasonable time.

Many thanks

Tom

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.