Difference between the receiver and estimator algorithms

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sara
    Participant

Hi all,

I am new to mobile network and I want to know the following please:

What is the difference between the receiver and estimator algorithms in mobile network or what is the benefit of each one ? and which one happens first the receiver process or the estimation algorithm for the incoming data at the eNodeb?, because I have found for example there is MMSE algorithm works as estimator and also works as receiver !!?. (if you have a reference or explanations with diagrams about this please send to me)

Thanks

Sara

Hi,

I think the estimation your are referring to is the channel estimation method?

greetings
    Stefan

Sara
    Participant

Hi

Thanks for reply. Yes it is the channel estimation method, But what is the function of receiver algorithm and also what is the function of receiver? if I have this equation(Y= Hx + n).

Thank you very much

Sara

Hi,

the receiver processes the received signal in order to obtain received bits in the end. Channel estimation is a part of the receiver which aims to estimate the channel coefficients H. This estimated channel is then exploited by the equalizer (where equalizer is referred to as the receiver method in the simulator since it is the main part of the linear receiver chain) that aims to mitigate the channel distortion of the received signal. In other words the equalizer tries to cancel the influence of H to the received signal Y. In the simplest case, the so called zero forcing equalizer, the received signal Y is divided by the channel coefficient H (that was estimated beforehand).

However, the problem if estimating the wireless channel coefficients from the received signal, which is known as channel estimation, and the problem of reconstructing the transmitted signal x from the received signal, which is known as detection problem, are very basic problems of communication theory.

greetings
    Stefan

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.