Monte Carlo Simulations

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tom Aird
    Participant

Would you be able to explain how the Monte Carlo simulations work in the simulator? It does not appear anywhere in the documentation.

What is altered between each simulation?

Is there a way of altering how many iterations are averaged over?

Hi Tom,

to answer your last question first: the simulation duration is defined in LTE_config.simulation_time_tti where one TTI corresponds to 1ms.

For your first question, it depends on your simulation setup (and thus is only implicitly visible from the documentation). Assuming static users, their location and therefore the large scale path loss doesn’t change over time. Thus, only the small scale fading/channel realisation for each link (desired as well as interfering) will vary. For moving users, also the large scale path loss will change.

There are more aspects that are varying over time, e.g., scheduling or traffic models, but this should already give you an idea for a basic simulation.

If you have more questions on this topic, please let me know.

Best,
    Martin

Tom Aird
    Participant

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your prompt response, that was very helpful.

So would how I go about getting results that averaged over multiple random user locations?

Best regards

Tom

Dear Tom,

To get results over multiple user positions, for each simulation realization you have to consider random user locations by setting: LTE_config.UE_distribution = ‘constant UEs per cell’;

Best regards,
    Fjolla

Tom Aird
    Participant

I understand that you can get multiple user positions by running multiple simulations, but is it possible to get a single simulation to average results over multiple user locations?

Dear Tom,

the only way how to do that in the current version of the simulator is by averaging over several simulations, where you define/create new user locations for each run. You could also try to define your own walking model where you let the users jump to a random position after a fixed number of TTIs, but I am not sure if the extra effort outweighs simply performing several simulations with new user locations. (Also then you couldn’t change the number of UEs during one simulation).

Best regards,
    Martin

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.