Non-Orthogonal Multiple Access scenario Error

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Gandolf
    Participant

Good day, I am really a newbie.
    I was am trying to run the scenario in the main.m file and receive the following error.
    Does anyone have guidance on how to rectify this error. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Error using Modulation.SignalConstellation/Bit2Symbol (line 137)
    Dimensions of arrays being concatenated are not consistent.

Error in Elements.BaseStation/generateTransmitSignal (line 75)
    dataSymbols =
    currentMod.SignalConstellation.Bit2Symbol(currentLink.EncodedBits{iCodeword},
    farUEEncodedBits{iCodeword});

Error in main (line 44)
    parfor iSweep = 1:length(simParams.simulation.sweepValue) % this
    may be ‘for’ or ‘parfor’

Hi,

since there is no “Non-Orthogonal Multiple Access scenario” I am not quite sure which scenario you are running. Please tell us from which scenario you started and which parameters you modified.

best
    Stefan

Gandolf
    Participant

Good day Sir,

Apologies, the scenario I am referring to is NOMA. The scenario is 1 of 6 that you can run in the 5GLLSimulator_v1.1. I am using matlab R2018b. I have run the line 44 in main.m as a for and parfor loop.

When I run the loop as a for loop. I saw the simulation sometimes completes some frames(see below).
    ——- Started ——-
    Sweep: 1/8, Frame: 20/100, approx. 2027s left
    Sweep: 1/8, Frame: 40/100, approx. 1713s left
    Error using horzcat

Error in Modulation.SignalConstellation/Bit2Symbol (line 137)
    bits = [reshape(PrimaryUEStream, [],
    log2(obj.ModulationOrder/4)) reshape(MUSTUEStream’, 2,
    [])’];

dataSymbols =

Error in main (line 88)
    BS{iBS}.generateTransmitSignal(Links);

Then when I run it as a parfor loop I receive the following.

Starting parallel pool (parpool) using the ‘local’ profile …
    connected to 4 workers.

dataSymbols =

Error in main (line 44)
    parfor iSweep = 1:length(simParams.simulation.sweepValue) % this may be ‘for’ or
    ‘parfor

Thank you very much for getting back to me.

Bashar Tahir
    Participant

Dear Gandolf,

We need to see the scenario parameters in order to help you. Otherwise, we cannot tell what is causing the error in your case. Can you please paste the scenario file here? I.e., paste the text of the NOMA.m file here.

Best,
    Bashar

Gandolf
    Participant

Good day Bashar.
    It is the original NOMA.m file that comes with the 5G Link level zipped file. I however pasted the NOMA.m code here. Thank you.

% parameter file for the NOMA scenario from "Versatile Mobile Communications Simulation: The Vienna 5G Link Level Simulator"
    %
    % The setup is as follows: We have two cells (BSs) with 72 subcarriers each.
    % The first cell supports two users only and therefore each one gets 36
    % subcarriers, while the second cell supports MUST operation and therefore
    % can have two groups of two superimposed users (in the power-domain). In 
    % each group, one of the superimposed users has a much higher pathloss than 
    % the other one (i.e., a cell edge user). The results are obtained over the
    % transmit power of the BSs. This scenario then shows the gain/impact of the 
    % MUST operation compared to the case when it is not enabled.

% What to expect: UE1, UE2 and will be performing unaffected (orthogonal). 
    % UE3 and UE4 will suffer a performance loss at the low SNR regime due to 
    % the extra interference from UE5 and UE6, respectively. Overall, cell 2 will 
    % perform better since it can squeeze in UE5 and UE6 and therefore will have 
    % a higher downlink throughput when the transmit power is sufficiently high.

%% Topology
    % Specifiy all the nodes in ascending order with starting
    % index of 1 (BS0 or UE0 is not allowed).
    scStr.topology.nodes             = ['BS1,BS2,UE1,UE2,UE3,UE4,UE5,UE6'];         

% Primary (desired) links
    scStr.topology.primaryLinks      = [ 'BS1:UE1,'...           
                                        'BS1:UE2,'... 
                                        'BS2:UE3,'... 
                                        'BS2:UE4,'... 
                                        'BS2:UE5,'... 
                                        'BS2:UE6'
                                        ];

% Links for Joint Tranmission and Detection (future work)                         
    scStr.topology.jointTxRxLinks               = [''];  

% Interference Links   
    scStr.topology.interferenceGeneration       = 'Automatic';

scStr.topology.attenuation                  = 300;                      % in dB, set a very high attenuation level to virtually decouple the two BS
    scStr.topology.interferingLinks             = [];

%% General Simulation Parameters
    % set link types to simulate
    scStr.simulation.simulateDownlink           = true;                     % downlink
    scStr.simulation.simulateUplink             = false;                    % uplink
    scStr.simulation.simulateD2D                = false;                    % device to device links

% Plot options
    scStr.simulation.plotResultsFor             = [1];
    scStr.simulation.plotOverSNR                = false;
    scStr.simulation.saveData                   = false; 

% Define a sweep parameter
    scStr.simulation.sweepParam                 = {'simulation.txPowerBaseStation'};  % Define the parameter to sweep over. This can be almost any simulation parameter.
                                                                            % Most likely it will be the pathloss to obtain results over SNR.

scStr.simulation.sweepValue                 = linspace(-30,40,8);       % Define parameter values to sweep over, in dB. A good starting point for the pathloss is 150 to 110
    scStr.simulation.applySweepingTo            = [1];

% Number of simulation frames
    scStr.simulation.nFrames                    = 100;                      % Number of frames to simulate per sweep value, adjust to obtain sufficiently small confidence intervals.

%% Physical Transmission Parameters
    scStr.simulation.centerFrequency            = 2.5e9;                    % center frequency

scStr.simulation.txPowerBaseStation         = [30];                     % per BS; base station total transmit power in dBm
    scStr.simulation.txPowerUser                = [30];                     % per UE; user total transmit power in dBm

scStr.simulation.nAntennasBaseStation       = [2];                      % per BS; number of antennas at the base station
    scStr.simulation.nAntennasUser              = [2];                      % per UE; number of antennas at the user
    scStr.simulation.userVelocity               = [0];                      % per UE; velocity in m/s

% Links to UE1 and UE3 have pathloss of 80, UE2 and UE4 of 90, and UE5 and UE6 of 110 and 115, respectively (cell edge).
    scStr.simulation.pathloss                   = [80,90,80,90,110,115];    % per Link, channel pathloss in dB, this is most likely swept over

% Nonlinearity model
    scStr.simulation.downlinkNonlinearity       = false;                    % Apply Rapp nonlinear model to downlink channels: either true of false                                                          
    scStr.simulation.amplifierOBO               = [1];                      % Amplifier output back-off, per BS, in dB
    scStr.simulation.smoothnessFactor           = [3];                      % Smoothness factor for the Rapp model, per BS, >=0

%% Channel Parameters
    scStr.channel.dopplerModel                  = 'Discrete-Jakes';        
    scStr.channel.timeCorrelation               = false;
    scStr.channel.spatialCorrelation            = 'none';            
    scStr.channel.nPaths                        = 50;
    scStr.channel.powerDelayProfile             = 'PedestrianA';
    scStr.channel.K                             = 0;
    scStr.channel.delta                         = 1;

%% Channel Estimation and Equalization Parameters
    scStr.simulation.channelEstimationMethod    = 'Approximate-Perfect';
    scStr.simulation.noisePowerEstimation       = false;                                                          
    scStr.simulation.pilotPattern               = 'LTE Downlink';                                                        
    scStr.simulation.equalizerType              = 'One-Tap';
    scStr.simulation.receiverTypeMIMO           = 'MMSE';

%% MIMO Parameters
    % Layer mapping
    scStr.layerMapping.mode                     = '5G'; 
    scStr.layerMapping.table.Uplink             = {1;2;[1,2]};
    scStr.layerMapping.table.Downlink           = {1;2;[1,2]};  

% MIMO mode
    scStr.modulation.transmissionMode           = 'CLSM';
    scStr.modulation.delayDiversity             = 1;

%% Feedback Parameters
    scStr.feedback.delay                        = 0;
    scStr.feedback.averager.Type                = 'miesm';
    scStr.modulation.cqiTable                   = 0; 

% for the custom transmission mode the following parameters are used to configure the feedback
    scStr.feedback.enable                       = false;                    % this parameter is ignored, the feedback is automatically enabled for the CLSM transmission mode
    scStr.feedback.pmi                          = false;
    scStr.feedback.ri                           = false;
    scStr.feedback.cqi                          = true; 

scStr.modulation.nStreams                   = [2];                   % per Link; number of active spatial streams
    scStr.modulation.mcs                        = [15];                     % parameter is unused
    % Per link, precoder selection (used when feedback is disabled)
    scStr.modulation.precodingMatrix{1}         = 1/sqrt(2)*ones(2,2);   % per Link; employed precoding matrix

%% Modulation Parameters
    % waveform
    scStr.modulation.waveform                   = {'OFDM'};

% parameters for FBMC
    scStr.modulation.prototypeFilter            = 'PHYDYAS-OQAM';           % unused for OFDM
    % Parameters for UFMC  
    scStr.modulation.nSubcarriersPerSubband     = [12];                     % number of subcarriers per subband

% time and bandwidth setup (number of subcarriers, frame duration, CP
    % length, sampling rate)
    scStr.modulation.numerOfSubcarriers         = [72];                     % per BS; number of used subcarriers
    scStr.modulation.subcarrierSpacing          = [15e3];                   % per BS; per base station in Hz
    scStr.modulation.nSymbolsTotal              = [15];                     % per BS; total number of time-symbols per frame, the frame duration will be nSymbolsTotal/subcarrierSpacing
    scStr.modulation.nGuardSymbols              = [1];                      % per BS; select how many of the total time-symbols will be used as guard symbols (cyclic prefix in OFDM)
    scStr.modulation.samplingRate               = 'Automatic';              % sampling rate has to be the same for all nodes (across all base stations):
                                                                            % either numeric value for manual setting or 'Automatic'

%% Channel Coding Parameters
    % All links are operating with the same coding parameters, enter it only once.
    scStr.coding.code                           = {'Turbo'};                                                              
    scStr.coding.decoding                       = {'MAX-Log-MAP'};                                                                     
    scStr.coding.decodingIterations             = [8];

%% Schedule
    % static schedule per base station

% BS1 does Orthogonal Multiple Access
    scStr.schedule.fixedScheduleDL{1}           = ['UE1:36,UE2:36'];        % schedule for BS1 Downlink
    scStr.schedule.fixedScheduleUL{1}           = [];                       % No uplink for BS1.

% BS2 does MUST operation
    scStr.schedule.fixedScheduleDL{2}           = ['UE3:36,UE4:36,UE5:UE3,UE6:UE4'];    % schedule for BS2 Downlink
    scStr.schedule.fixedScheduleUL{2}           = [];                                   % No uplink for BS2.

Kind regards.
    Gandolf

Bashar Tahir
    Participant

I ran the scenario and it worked just fine without errors, both with and without parfor. Also, it works both on my current MATLAB version (R2019a) and the old one (R2017b).

Did you modify another file? Can you please try running the scenario on a clean version (directly from the zip folder).

Gandolf
    Participant

Dear Bashar,

I downloaded the .zip file from the following link: 5G Link Level Simulator

Ran the the NOMA.m scenario in main.n (line14). Unfortunately it came up with the same error.
    Do I have the correct link to the 5G Link Level Simulator?

dataSymbols =

Error in main (line 44)
    parfor iSweep = 1:length(simParams.simulation.sweepValue) % this
    may be ‘for’ or ‘parfor’

Thank you.
    Best
    Gandolf

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Gandolf.

Dear Gandolf,

thank you for this bug report. We could reproduce this error on Matlab 2018b. We are working on it and will let you know how to fix this issue.

best
    Stefan

Gandolf
    Participant

Dear Stefan,

Thank you for getting back to me. Good to know I was not going insane.

Looking forward to update of the 5G Link level simulation with the NOMA scenario.

Best.
    Gandolf

Dear Gandolf,

we resolved the reported issue. We updated the code that is available for download. Therefore, if you download the simulator source files again, the issue should be resolved and the NOMA scenario should run without errors.

Thank you again for this bug report and please let us know in case you encounter any further trouble.

best
    Stefan

Gandolf
    Participant

Dear Stefan,

Thank you very much. It is all working. Really appreciate it.

Kind regards.
    Randall Press

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.