Power allocation in NOMA

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Hasyimah
    Participant

Good day,

I would like to know, where can I find coding in the NOMA scenario which shows the power allocation to each UE in the simulation?

Bashar Tahir
    Participant

Hello,

The power allocation follows the LTE Rel. 14 specs: http://www.3gpp.org/ftp//Specs/archive/36_series/36.211/36211-eb0.zip
    On page 147 “7 Generic functions”. For each QAM mapping of the cell-center user, three power ratios are defined. Each is controlled by the two parameters ‘c’ and ‘d’. The superposition is defined as follows:

x = exp(j*phi0*pi)*c*(I-d) + exp(j*(phi1+0.5)*pi)*c*(Q-d), where

– phi0 is the inphase component of the QPSK symbol of the cell-edge user,
    – phi1 is the quadrature component of the QPSK symbol of the cell-edge user,
    – I is the inphase component of the M-QAM symbol of the cell-center user,
    – Q is the quadrature component of the M-QAM symbol of the cell-center user.

The resultant composite constellation is Gray-coded.

Based on that, we can deduce that the power allocation to the cell-center user is c^2; it follows that the cell-edge user has a power allocation of 1-c^2. This is assuming that the total power is 1.

In the simulator, you find those parameters in +Modulation\SignalConstellation.m @ line 37, and @ line 97 you see how they are applied. If you want to change which power ratio is chosen during the simulation, you can do so in +Elements/Link.m @ line 261.

Best regards,
    Bashar

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Bashar Tahir.
    Hasyimah
    Participant

Since NOMA is pairing a cell-center with a cell-edge user. Which c value is in consideration of the power ratio calculation let say we are considering MUSTIdx = 2. Is it QPSK or QAM? And if it is QAM, which QAM order come first if I consider scStr.modulation.cqiTable = 0 ?

Another question. What UE values considering for type of modulation: QPSK, M-QAM? Is it based on the pair or is it based on the PL values being set or any other?

Bashar Tahir
    Participant

Hi,

The cell-edge user is restricted to 4-QAM (QPSK), while the cell-center user can be 4-QAM, 16-QAM, or 64-QAM.

The choice of c and d depends the modulation combination (4-QAM with 4-QAM, 4-QAM with 16-QAM, etc) and the MUSTIdx. Those can be found in the standardization link I posted above (on page 147 “7 Generic functions”). For each combination, you can find a table that specifies the values for c and d.

Best,
    Bashar

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.