Question about the calculation of SINR

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Yvan
    Participant

Hi all,

I am using “LTE-A-DL-System-Level-Simulator-Rel-v1-9-Q2-2016”, and have checked the code about calculation of SINR in UE.m (line 491): “SINR_linear = RX_power ./ Interference_plus_noise_power;”. I have a question about the calculation of SINR.

In my opinion, SINR=S/(I+N). And S, I, N are all affected by the receiver antenna gain. But in the code, only S and I have considered receiver antenna gain; the noise N is calculated only by thermal noise density, bandwidth, and noise figure.

In addition, in the Dissertation http://publik.tuwien.ac.at/files/PubDat_226618.pdf Eq. (3.11), it seems that only S considers the effect of antenna gain; both I and N does not.

In general, my question is: Should we consider the effect of antenna gain for I (interference) and N (noise), when calculating SINR? I know this question maybe silly, but I am real confused about it. Hope you could help me. Thanks.

Best regards,
    Yvan

Dear Yvan,

in general, since this is a downlink simulator, we assume a UE at the receiver side that is assumed to have an omnidirectional antenna. Also in the disseration that you reference, only an antenna gain on the transmit-side is considered (for signal as well as interference). In general for the noise power, it is modelled independently from the antenna gain (which is a fair assumption in a cellular wireless comm. context).

Best regards,
    Martin

Yvan
    Participant

Dear Martin,

Thanks for your kind reply. Sorry for the typing error, the equation making me confused is Eq. (3.16) actually. In this equation, it seems that only S considers the effect of antenna gain; both I and N does not.

Best regards,
    Yvan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.